Monday, August 2, 2010

"Wherever I'm Going Your Heart's Coming Too..."


Welcome to my blog :) As I prepare for the journey that lies ahead this year there is genuinely nothing that means more to me than staying in connection all you who are reading this. I hope you'll comment on my posts or email me back.

So I'm home in Chicago now and it's only been a day. I realized that while all this time I've been telling myself that I hate transitions I realize that it's not the transitions I hate but it's the lack of feeling grounded. I don't
yet have a routine here, my bags aren't unpacked, and I didn't even actually have all my bags or furniture moved here until today. Yet, I'm fully aware that it's not stuff external from myself that has control over my sense of comfort or grounded-ness. That feeling I'm looking for is something that can only be found or cultivated from within. Hm... food for thought.

So anyway, I have several intentions behind writing this blog...

1) I'd really like to remain in contact with you guys while I'm gone for the year! After I graduated from the HDC program with such a tremendously supportive community, I started getting a little nervous about how I was going to process all my experiences overseas without my grad school cohort. While I have few doubts that the people I meet on my trip will be fabulous, my relationships with them will be uniquely different (without a better/worse judgment). You all are my grounding force - my literal and figurative home base. Staying connected to each of you perhaps will help me feel that sense of grounded-ness while I'm overseas that is similar to what I feel like I'm lacking now. I haven't sent this blog link to everyone I know so please be aware that if you received this link I really very much want to stay in touch with you.

2) I want to keep a running record of my experiences. Some of what I anticipate you might read in future blog posts will be the bigger events (weekend trips around India, going to Jordan, seeing family and old friends, etc.) but I'm really pretty confident that even if I don't blog about those I'll still remember them. What is sometimes easier to forget is the little stuff - the glamor-less daily happenings, the aha! moments, and the nuances. This blog will be a fun place for me to get them out of my head and also to share them with all of you :)

I sincerely appreciate each of you who are reading this and hope you'll continue to check in on my blogs and keep in touch.

All my love,
Abby


P.S. Just for fun, my Summer 2010 mission has been to do something new every day. It has been far more fun than I imagined it could be so I'll keep you guys posted with each blog about the most recent new things I've done! Here's from the past few days:

- I drove/operated a forklift
- I went to the air show in Oshkosh, WI
- I hired movers to move my furniture
- I went to a yoga class at North Shore Yoga and another one at Heaven Meets Earth
- I tried the new Crispy Asian Salad at Corner Bakery. I also tried the new Strawberry and Poppyseed salad at Panera - whaaaaaat?!? So good!
- I watched the show Obsessed
- I cooked with ground lamb
- I drove/operated a lawn mower -so fun!
More to come...

P.P.S. The photo attached is one of me with Mr. Bug-Z. He owns me.


1 comment:

  1. Dear Abby:
    I have a smile from ear to ear. Keeping tabs on a new experience per day is a fabulous way to make sure your days count. There's no doubt that you'll be journalling many new experiences over the next nine months. Thanks for taking us on the journey with you.
    Love,
    Savta

    ReplyDelete